Please comment on and share the posts you enjoy; I would love to get people talking and debating on films they love. Also, let me know of any films I should see!

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Tron: Legacy

Tron: Legacy is a film I have been wanting to see since I first saw the trailer in theaters. Tron is a classic plot that leaves a son orphaned and a secret to be discovered. Though while reading Roger Ebert’s review of the film, my attention got “side tracked.” Ebert says on his site that, “its appeal is too one-dimensional for an audience much beyond immediate responders.” That statement makes me quiver to think what elements have been lost in the story telling process of this film. When looking at a review titled The most visually appealing film of 2010, a viewer’s take on Tron: Legacy, they stated that the audience doesn’t go to see movies like Tron: Legacy for a great story; they see it for its special effects. I myself am one not to go see a movie based on bad reviews, or good reviews for that matter. I plan on seeing Tron: Legacy later this week, and will make my own assessment of the film as I see fit.  

4 comments:

  1. I think it is great that you are trying to remain as objective as possible before you see the movie. Reviewers and their reviews are typically subjective as they try to convince readers to either see or avoid the movie, and neither of the reviews convinced you to change your mind.

    On a side note, I have not seen either of the Tron movies, but I think it is interesting that Disney chose to make a sequel to a moderately successful movie from 20 years ago. Legacy just broke even with its $170 million budget, so Disney may have made the right decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes think reviewers write to see themselves think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen it yet, but I hear that Tron: Legacy is exactly as it looks. And by that I mean visually appealing, a story that's not too difficult to grasp, and standard character development. But I'm like you, I'm not one to see a movie based on reviews. It's got state of the art graphics, and to me, that's reason enough to have a good time at the movies.

    Trax Henderson
    xruined24x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree completely with your ideas about reviews. Many times, I have read a negative review about a movie only to watch it myself and really enjoy it.

    As far as Tron goes, I haven't seen it yet and don't really have a desire to see it in theatres, but am intrigued at the trends films are going in. It seems some 3D movies are created just for special effect and lose a lot of plot and character development. I'm interested to see if this trend continues, or as audiences become accustomed to 3D movies, will films go back to devoloping story lines deeper.

    ReplyDelete